Novel methods in skin rejuvenation and anti-ageing has allowed aesthetic physicians to treat a vast number of aesthetic concerns of the epidermis and dermis successfully using skin products, peels, dermal fillers and botulinum toxins. Between the dermis and the superficial fascia lies the subcutaneous tissue, the bulk of the soft tissues of the face which contains multiple connective bands.
These bands are of thick collagen fibres connecting the superficial fascia to the dermis (anti ptosis complex) and the importance of these bands is generally underestimated by aesthetic physicians. Atrophy of this layer of the skin contributes to ptosis of the facial skin including the jawline, chin and neck. Though dermal fillers add volume and other skin treatments such as lasers help they do not contribute to more than a few % of new mature collagen production and hence the vacuum for another complimentary treatment has always remained.
Though PDO threads were initially used for treating and preventing ptosis their benefits are not only limited to the hypodermis but also the layers above due to the massive skin response created as a result of their insertion from micro trauma, haemostasis, platelet aggregation, vasolidation, hyperaemia as well as the later stages of regeneration.
The PDO thread can be inserted into the sub-dermal tissue for temporary support of the face and body. The threads create a lifting effect that will reduce lines and enhance the shape. It is a less invasive treatment than surgical methods used to lift the face.
The PDO mono sutures are slowly reabsorbed over time with complete absorption after 200 days. Results are seen immediately after plus improvement over the following 3 to 4 months, depending upon the health of the skin. Providing a touch-up after 9 months can increase the longevity of the correction. The PDO cog and barb treatment can last 2-3 years.
The benefits of PDO threads include:
- Quick, easy treatments with high level of client satisfaction
- Skin Tightening, Rejuvenation & Volume Increase
- All facial areas (improving volume, pores, wrinkles)
- Chin Lifting
- Neck Lifting, Neck Lines (horizontal and vertical), Skin tightening
- Body (lipolysis, skin tightening & contouring, cellulite, stretch marks)
- Lower Face Lifting
- Lower Face Lifting (early to moderate jowls with use of cogging screws
- High Definition Jaw Line
- Improvement in skin wrinkles for 12 to 18 months
- Volume Reduction i.e. Lower Face Slimming
- Another benefit of PDO threads is inducing lipolysis, combined with its effect of collagen
- Production it gives excellent slimming results for the lower face.
After the threads are placed, they attach themselves to the subdermal tissue where they create tension in the desired direction. This causes the skin to stretch a little. The pressure on the tissue encourages the body to produce its own, new collagen around the suture. This process both strengthens and smoothens the skin. The sutures will dissolve over time. At any time you desire, extra sutures can be inserted.
The dissolvable stitches used in the PDO thread lift do not just lift; they stimulate collagen production as well, thereby affecting an even more natural result. However, there is no risk of your cleavage being stretched too thinly. Doctors employ a very fine network of small threads, making sure that at no point too much tension on the skin is created. This ensures that you retain your natural glow. Eventually the threads dissolve completely. The extra collagen produced in the suture area will revitalize your skin.
- Vitamin C tablets from 1 week before until at least 3 months afterwards. Vitamin C assists collagen production.
- Should a pain killer be required, avoid aspirin as it encourages the appearance of bruises.
- Avoid coffee, tobacco and stimulants in general.
- Treatment must be carried out by a qualified Doctor.
You might experience:
- Some mild discomfort and tenderness after the procedure. You may feel a slight tightening sensation as new collagen is produced around the threads. This may last for 2 weeks.
- Occasionally the needle may puncture a small blood vessel resulting in a bruise.
- Swelling and redness: This may result following the procedure due to injection with the needle.
- Your face might be slightly red with small bumps (needle entry points) and with some slight bruising around the target areas, but this will subside after few days.
- Please do not touch treated areas for 4 hours after the treatment.
- Please avoid sleeping on treated areas for 3 nights.
- When a bruise does appear, please apply Arnica cream a few times a day.
- Please do not plan any facial treatments after 3-4 weeks’ post Threads treatment.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and warming of your face 7-10 days.
- Please do not plan any laser treatments to treated areas for next 4 weeks (Laser might break new collagen, which has been stimulated and procedure after the PDO Threads treatment).
You will be able to see results almost as soon as you leave the clinic however, it is important to keep in mind that it takes 10-14 days for collagen to start working. You will start to see the effects it is having on the appearance of your skin after 4 weeks’ post treat.